Prekindergarten Eligibility Requirements
The following are eligibility requirements for Prekindergarten students in the Hardin Independent School District.
Students must live within the Hardin ISD attendance zone and qualify for prekindergarten according to state guidelines. Children of Hardin ISD employees are eligible for prekindergarten regardless of state eligibility.
Students must be 4 years old by September 1 of they year they enroll in prekindergarten.
The state eligibility guidelines include:
- is unable to speak and comprehend the English language;
- is educationally disadvantaged (which means a student who is eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program);
- is homeless;
- is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States;
- is the child of a member of the armed forces who was injured or killed while on active duty;
- is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (foster care) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code; or
- is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as:
- a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code;
- a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or
- an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code.